3.13.2009

church women.

Church women are wonderful, godly women. They support their husbands, they make meals, they volunteer, they teach sunday school, they lead bible studies, and they look nice.
But is that what they really want? I can imagine that all that serving would get a little tiresome and frankly, boring.
Maybe I'm not supposed to say that, but I did anyways (I don't think I've ever been one to mask my opinion, and sometimes I can be blunt I suppose).

Another excerpt from Captivating:

-- On the surface we are busy and efficient, professional, even. We are getting by. On the inside women lose themselves in a fantasy world or in cheap novels, or we give ourselves over to food or some other addiction to numb the ache of our hearts. But your heart is still there, crying out to be set free, to find the life your desires tell you of. --

I know that the bible puts a ton of emphasis on serving others, and I don't by any means want to down play that, but when I think about who women are, and the desires that they have, I don't think of service. If I would ask random women what they want most, what their heart longs to have, I doubt I would hear, "I really want to just work and serve others all the time, maybe make a thousand pot luck meals this year, yes, that's it."

I know I need to be careful about this, because I don't want to come across like I think serving in the church and in the home are not good things; there is so much to be said for that and I know incredible joy can come from it. My point is that women need more than that. They need to be delighted in just because of who they are, not because of anything they do.There are certain people I know that just love the crap out of me, if I failed and just sucked at everything I tried, they would not think any less of me, I love those people a lot.

When women were little girls they wanted to grow up to be princesses, beauties that someone would come and rescue, something worth fighting for. I highly doubt any little girl wanted to grow up to be a 'church' woman. They wanted to be delighted in. They twirled around in their dresses, smiling and eagerly looking to see who would watch, who would think they were lovely.

Don't we still want that? While maybe we don't twirl in dresses (although I'll admit I do), there remains something deep with in us that desires, even needs, to be admired. We want adventure, not a life on the sidelines. We want to be thought of as beautiful, strong, and lovely, not because of our acts of service, but because of who we are. Just us.

And doesn't God want the same thing? The desire he has placed in the hearts of women to be delighted in, he has placed because He also desires it. He desires our affections. He has made us in His image, and the deep longing we have to be wanted and needed, comes from Him, and is nothing to be ashamed of. Just think, the God who caused the whole earth to be flooded, the sky to blacken, the sins of the world to be forgiven, wants your attention!

He longs for my time, my love, my heart. And does he not deserve it? He is entitled to everything I have, solely because He is the LORD.

Help me not downplay the desires of my heart, for they come from You.
Help me recognize satan's lies.
Help me go to You alone for fulfillment.

1 comment:

  1. I just watched the movies Nights in Rodanthe and it made me think about this. If you haven't seen it, you should. It's great. But, the scene that stuck in my head is that this guy came along and challenged her. He wanted to know why she gave up art. As they grew to know each other there is a scene where she is in her house and she's getting all of her art supplies out and you can feel happiness and freedom radiating in her smile.
    Christ is that to us. He doesn't want us to settle and give up things he's given us a passion for. He loves us regardless of our flaws and wants to delight in us. If only we could see that so clearly every single day of our lives, it would make a world of difference.
    :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say, please share!