11.04.2010

Holiness and Purity

am I being holy? am I being pure?

I want to be holy and pure in every area of my life, even the parts that mean I have to give up things that are rather fun sometimes. Like certain movies and music. I realized a while back that even movies that aren't 'that bad' can in fact be very bad. For if they are promoting an action or mindset that is contrary to the Lord's they are sinful indeed, and I don't want to partake in something that is contrary to the one that I pray to every day. I want to live in a way that pleases him, in every way, not just the big ways. I want to be so in love with him that I turn down offers to go to movies because I know they will not be pleasing to God. I want to turn off the radio when I hear a word that is crass, for those who follow Jesus are not to take part in obscenity, coarse joking, or foolish talk (Ephesians 5). That alone throws out tons of media and entertainment that many Christians (including myself) put into their minds and spirits. If I am truly the temple of God, the Spirit's dwelling place, how ashamed should I be to subject Jesus to any ounce of unholiness? I don't want to turn up the volume to impure lyrics and place the headphones onto the Holy Spirit's ears.

It's really hard and sometimes it's not fun. But I am called to lay down fun to follow Jesus, he bore his cross and it was not fun for him. It was brutal and painful and he did it because of his immense love for me. How grossly selfish of me is it to hold on to my sinful desires for media and entertainment when he says he has something better. My refusal tells him I don't believe his words.

I want to throw off anything that hinders, and run free, holy and pure, as he intends me to be.

Oh am I a work in progress, make this my prayer Jesus, change me.

4 comments:

  1. Amen, sister. I'm trying to form more words than that but I simply can't. We all need to have the strength, the desire and willpower to say no, to let the world pass us by with it's temptations. I believe you can do it. You (and I) simply need to try.. and even when we fail, we will keep trying. Keep writing, Danae. You're such an encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks Danelle for the true words and kind encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Danae - this may seem strange to you because you have no idea who I am. My name is Kaia, I actually had a few classes with your husband while I went to Moorhead a couple years ago. I always thought he was an awesome guy and when I saw that he was getting married my heart was so happy. I happened to come across your blog one day, perhaps after looking through pictures on Mike's facebook or something, I'm honestly not even sure. But I thought you looked like a really fun girl so I was curious to know more. I just want to say from the few times I have read your blog I am truly inspired. You are an AMAZING woman of God and it is so beautiful to see your transparency and your love for our Lord. I am so happy for you and Mike and pray that God continues to bless you in this journey together. Keep sharing your heart, you'll never know who it will touch. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kaia- Thanks so much for the comment! That is so sweet of you and it's super encouraging to know that what I'm writing is making a difference in people and causing them to think. I'm glad you stumbled upon my blog, and Michael says hi : )

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say, please share!