2.25.2011

blog face.

It's so easy to put forth exactly what you want people to see. It's easy to browe around the blogger community and think everyone's life is so romantic and fun. No one has to ever do boring things like taxes, work (that is not fun), clean, fill out forms and crap, run errands, and all that day to day jazz that is a part of being a human.

It's easy to look at some blogs and think, "wow, their life is awesome." When in reality, it just looks awesome on a screen. And that is ok, there aren't rules saying what kind of a blog you have to have, or what kind of photos you have to post, or how much you have to disclose about yourself. Some blogs are purely photographs, some intensely personal journaling, and everywhere in between. It's the remembering that everyone has boring things they have to do, and no one spends ALL their time prancing through forests, having picnics, drinking tea, looking beautiful, taking pictures, and living with a fuzzy glow around them. Although some people truly do live pretty alternative lifestyles compared to the majority of the world, they do boring things too. But usually, people don't want to share boring things, and people don't want to read boring things, hence the "her-life-looks-awesome" idea that comes about from blogs at times.

Just remember, no one's life is awesome ALL the time, and I've heard a blogger say that their blog is a form of sanctuary for them, a place they can leave their "real" world behind and not have to think about the hard things happening sometimes, a place to create a world that you want, and people can take it or leave it.

Personally, I think it's good to have a balance, people want you to be real, genuine. I don't want to spend all my time sharing things I'm struggling with, nor should I, I don't want anyone to think that there isn't ever pain in my life either. I'm normal. I know people like reading and I enjoy writing about things I'm happy about and excited for, and sometimes, things do happen that are awesome, and that stuff is fun to share. It's a balance.

3 comments:

  1. I love this post. It reminds me of a post of yours I read awhile back about how marriage is hard...no one ever really says that and you came right out and did. I love being in a relationship, I wouldn't trade it for anything, but it is a lot EASIER to be single...but like you said, that doesn't mean its better or worse...just different.

    have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! haha. Part of me thinks my life is 60% boring and 40% exciting. I mean yeah, I do some cool stuff here and there, but I'm still the girl who has to go to the bank, get my oil changed, take exams, and sleep. I think it's refreshing to get past all the cupcakes and forest adventures of blog world and actually see people. You are so good at being real. I just love that about your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you posted this. I read so many blogs, and I find myself wishing I had the life that these people have. Everything just seems so perfect. They get to do all kinds of fun things, they're always dressed cute, they always seem so happy, etc. It's hard to remember that it's not the reality for them ALL the time.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say, please share!