2.23.2011

on prayer.

Oh man. Sometimes prayer is really hard. I know that it's good, and I know that I'm not supposed to view it as a duty to perform, but sometimes I do. I've been feeling really frustrated with myself lately and my prayer life, even though I know that Jesus isn't frustrated with me, it's hard to accept that view of myself, for myself.
I know prayer is good. It's really good for husbands and wives to pray together too. Michael and I have struggled to achieve the spiritual life together that we want, as I think many couples do. We want to come to the Lord together in spirit but there seems to be lots of obstacles trying to pull us away from that, which makes sense, since the last thing the devil wants is for husbands and wives to be spiritually unified.

We just started reading a book, called When Couples Pray Together, by David and Jan Stoop. We've only read the first chapter, but so far, it's excellent. It does a great job of explaining why so many Christian couples struggle to achieve spiritual intimacy, and their own journey in doing so. They shared about their families growing up, and how their own parent's values of prayer influenced their willingness to pray together in their own marriage. Questions like, did you ever hear your parent's pray together? did you ever hear your parent's say they were praying for you? did your family pray together regularly? These questions bring up some enlightening thoughts of our own attitudes today as adults regarding prayer in relation to your parents.

Sometimes it's just hard to get in the habit. It takes about a month to form a new habit, but what an important one this is! Praying together increases communication and trust. It is like being "spiritually naked" with someone, as you are allowing them to see your heart, and in so, you trust one another with more of yourself.

Only 4% of Christian couples pray together on a regular basis, including those in ministry and leadership roles. I can see how it would be easy to fall into the habit of not talking with God together, but I know that I don't want to do that. We want to be in the 4% of spouses on their knees.
All of this is such a struggle for me sometimes, but I know how important it is. It can change lives. It can change our future family, our children. All I can do is pray for the ability to keep praying, for the strength to wake up when I'm really tired, and for the courage to put my heart into words, and I know that He is faithful to those who love Him.

2 comments:

  1. I find praying one of the hardest things to accomplish. I haven't found the best way to do it and like you said, I know that He isn't frustrated with me, but I tend to get frustrated with myself.

    This was an amazing post, I appreciate the inspiration.

    Have a sweet day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so true. Praying together means you must be vulnerable...this is hard but necessary! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say, please share!