4.01.2011

on adoption.

As some of you know, I am such a big advocate for adoption. I have 2 adopted brothers which has drawn and kept the issue close to my heart. It has influenced my college choices and major, my future career goals, passions, and even this fall's internship with Catholic Charities.

Why adoption is amazing : 

God loves it : His heart is for the orphaned and the lost. We were lost and alone before Jesus saved us. We all are orphans gone astray without His love.

He desires no child to be fatherless, motherless. He didn't create children to be alone, institutionalized, or abandoned, and His heart breaks over it.

He calls His church (us) to act, to take on the the injustices that break His heart, and fight for those He loves. To welcome them into our homes, to allow ourselves to be inconvenienced for the sake of the needy.

 Scripture emphasis it : God's word is chalk full of verses affirming adoption, compassion, generosity, love, sanctity of life, and service to those in need, especially children.

True religion that God our father accepts as pure and faultless is this, to look after the orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. James 1:27


Defend the cause of the weak and the fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed. Rescue the weak and needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked. Psalm 82 :3-4

My eyes fail from weeping, I am in torment within, my heart is poured out on the ground because my people are destroyed, because children and infants faint in the streets of the city. Lamentations 2: 11

But you know him (the Holy Spirit), for he lives with you and will be in you, I will not leave you as orphans, I will come to you. John 14: 17-18

...God does not ignore the cry of the afflicted. Psalm 9:2

You are the helper to the fatherless. Psalm 10:14

It's a gift of sacrifice, the greatest gift : It involves sacrificing time, effort, money, convenience, comfort, and sometimes others' approval. It extends life, a new chance, a place to belong, a support system, love, and the Father's heart to a child in need.

Greater love has no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. Jn 15:13

I found this awesome lady's work - Karen Halbert Photography - she is a photographer out of Nashville and focuses a lot on photographing adoptive families and children - beautiful stuff.

----------------------------------------------

happy april! easter is almost here and i can feel spring coming on - i hope it's warm where you are!
this morning i just about broke something when i wiped out, landing almost square on my back after slipping on a patch of ice while on the way to the gym - i think i'm OK haha.
loads of homework is on the agenda for me and my boy this weekend, but as usual, i hope to get some creating/photographing/blogging fun stuff in too.

5 comments:

  1. Ok this is so neat. I am seeing Adoption everywhere now. My husband and I have been struggling with infertility and have felt the call to adopt and in the past few months I've been researching like crazy. I love all the things you had to say! Also neat: I live about 90 miles from Nashville, and when God blesses us with our sweet adopted baby I think I will just have to get this lady to take our pictures! Thanks so much for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so welcome! Blessings on you and your husband as you pray and think about adopting, it's blessed my family SO much and I know God will yours too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful post. My father was adopted along with his brothers and I have always felt a pull for me to adopt. Luckily work has adoption reimbursement so I plan on starting the process in the next couple years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so exciting! Blessings as you get started!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sweet. It's really heartwarming to hear you speak about adoption in such a wonderful way.

    I'm a LONG ways off from starting a family, but I have always so strongly about adoption. It's almost like a calling. I can't wait to adopt one day.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say, please share!