5.07.2011

i'm not a big-house kinda girl, i am a big-hair kinda girl although. i find myself feeling a little out of place and uncomfortable in houses full of spotless floors and walls covered in hundreds of dollars worth of decorations. i feel at home sitting on the faded quilt covering a double bed in a small bedroom. i feel at home when i hear the creaking boards on the worn staircase. big and fancy is fun for a day, but i find the perfect paint and brand-newness stifling something within. I feel that if i were to stay for too long, i would get sucked into a place i really don't want to be. the perfectness would somehow become the norm and i would forget what its like to hear the creak and feel the fade. and i don't want to ever forget those things.

i don't want a house where my children can hide from each other. the smallness should force a sense of community, even when it is not desired, for that is when it matters the most. the structure should not hold our wealth or status, our wealth should be given and our status should be found in the epicenter of our hearts.

5 comments:

  1. That last bedroom is so fun! And I love your take on this subject, especially your last statement, "our wealth should be given and our status should be found in the epicenter of our hearts." So true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit, I'm a sucker for a new house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. I just want a big giant library/study inside the house, that's all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks friends. joy - me too! kari - that's ok ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too agree, I grew up in a tiny house where I could tell who was up because of the sounds of their footsteps. I'm 100% sure that I'm so close to my family now because of that small house and forced closeness which I now find intensely comfortable.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say, please share!