6.22.2011

on fashion, appearence, and Jesus.

Michael and I have been talking about the idea of fashion and style, and how that relates to living a life glorifying to God. It's a tough thing to think about. I like fashion, and wearing "cool" clothes, but I know that life is so much much more than that. In this community of "hipsters" and artsy-ness and bloggers and fashion-minded persons the clothes we put on our bodies are often glorified and focused on. This area seems to be gray, because being fashion-able isn't a sin, but it seems like it could be, ya know? (Don't freak out on me quite yet...)

Often with being "fashion-able" comes an emphasis on appearance and "beauty" as defined by this world. It focuses on looking good to other people, something I ashamedly admit I am guilty of desiring much of the time. I believe that clothes, like food, is not "spiritual" or something heavenly in it's nature, they are of this earth, material.

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and rust destroy, and thieves break in and steal, but store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. Matt. 6:19-20

I so desire to honor God above all things, and glorify Him, but what does this mean for the clothes I wear? I think it is wrong to look for praise from others. I pray that God will humble my heart, but I also want to wear things I enjoy and feel good in. I want to find a healthy balance, in which my heart is in the right place, where God is made greater and I less, while staying true to the personality and individuality I was created with.... and what does that mean for fashion?

I think it means finding your beauty in Christ, not anything outward. It isn't wrong to enjoy fashion or wearing 'unique' clothing, but if what I wear and how I look becomes more important to me then the state of my heart, my inner motives, my love for the Lord, my desire to see others come to know Him, then I am in the wrong. If I seek to please others and look "cool" to the world, then I am in the wrong.

I pray that God would continue to change me and make me more like Him in everything I am, even the clothes I choose to put on in the morning. I pray that I would not put stock or "treasure" in how my hair looks that day, or if my shirt is wrinkled, or how well my shoes go with my jeans, but that I would store up treasures in heaven, in my knowledge of His word, my service to my husband, my love for others, and my prayer life.

I feel like I am falling so short in this, but I thank my Savior that He isn't done with me yet, there is hope for my sinful self, and I am His work in progress. His Spirit convicts and pricks the heart, my heart, and it's easier to just avoid and make excuses, but Oh the joy and freedom that comes from living a life fully devoted to Him, a heart undivided.

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. 1 Peter 3:3-4

----------------------------------------------------------

P.S. If you're a mom, or want to be one someday, or just a person who likes their mom, or just a human being for that matter... you should read this article. It's amazing. 

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this, it is something I needed to hear! I seem to struggle the most with this idea that I need to appear a certain way to the people around me. I constantly fret and worry about how I look, how I speak, and how I act so that it's pleasing to everyone. I have to stop myself on a daily basis and remind myself that people's opinions do not matter. I really like the last verse you posted, I don't think I've ever read it (or at least heard it like that!). Thank you again, and may you continue to please God in all you do =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I have to agree with you completely. I just relocated and noticed a HUGE difference in how the ladies dressed, ALWAYS to the 9s. I don't think that there is anything wrong with that, but as you posted of 1 Peter it isn't what the Lord is looking for. Couldn't we say that fashion of this kind is just a way for the devil to slip in and get our eyes off of what we are really here to portray, as Christians? I believe it is in the KJ Scolfield that referenced this same scripture and said that it is better to not cause jealousy in your fellow sister and dress yourself in the beauty of the Lord. That has been my go-to when i am dressing for church and such. I like to look nice and have a crazy weird fashion sence, but I think this a very WISE scripture to live by. Thank you again for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love all of your encouraging, thought provoking writing! Every time I read one of your new posts I keep thinking "Amen!" You are so right on! Thank you for sharing your challenging thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your heart Danae. I struggle with the same thing, although I may not have as great of a fashion sense as you! One thing I want to encourage you with: I think God made woman to encapsulate His beauty. I think that as image bearers of God, we are carriers of His beauty. He gave that unique assignment to woman. Obviously this includes inner beauty, but I think it includes outer beauty as well. I think it would be a insult to Him to NOT want to be beautiful. Beauty inspires. Your desire to be beautiful comes straight from His heart. You were destined to be beautiful, inside and out! Where the world goes wrong is that it tends to exploit beauty, rather than cherish and protect it. Protect your beauty, but don't forget to cherish it also! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this, Danae!
    I totally agree with Sam's comment. I think our outward appearance can be a reflection of what's inside - the beautiful Creator living in of us, transforming us from glory to glory. We were made in his image, both inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a reason people with physical deficiences, a nice way to say less then attractive, live a life of lonliness and end up bitter more often then not. The bitterness grows as the psychological effects of going through life entirely alone build and build and build testing not only their faith but their sanity until finally... they give up.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say, please share!