1.13.2012

This week was my first week at my first professional job (adoption social worker for children in foster care and the families that adopt them).
I'm tired.

It went as well as expected, I feel nervous and unsure and full of questions most of the time but overall, it was good. I'm learning a lot and being stretched so much to become more confidant and think critically about lots of tough stuff.

This little spot on the interweb will definitely be slowing down, and most likely less original photos, as well, we just don't have a whole lot of free time anymore.

Michael starts student teaching (middle-high school social studies) next week and he's full of nerves. But as we keep saying to each other, this too shall pass.

Internet things I like::::


1. Kelsie's  winter photos
2. Joel's A Valley A Mountain album (free and a friend of ours)
3. All the pretty things in Anabela's bag
4. Free audiobooks! Lots of classics and I've found it a great way to pass the time while knitting (a good alternative to movies/tv)

4 comments:

  1. my parents are both social workers. it's tough but rewarding work. congratulations on being amazing enough to want to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing work you will be doing. I will miss your posts but I'm very happy with all the good you're going to be doing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an exciting time for you and I love to hear that you enjoyed it! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danae,

    I just finished student teaching: 10 weeks 11th&12th grade, 6 weeks 8th grade. Both in the area of English. I was a little nervous, especially with having students that were only 4-6 years younger than me to start, but it was incredible! My suggestion for Michael is that if his CT (cooperating teacher) allows him, he should pick up at least one class by the end of the first week. In my HS placement, I taught 1 class for the entire 10 weeks, 2 for 7-8 weeks, and 1 (an ESL class) for just two. Teaching the one class from day one really set the tone for me as a teacher and allowed me to see long-term curriculum planning & behavior management, too.
    Most of all, though, the Lord was faithful in giving me lots of lesson ideas and an ease in the classroom. I loved every minute of it, even when I was frustrated. I would be so tired, but wake up ready to get back in my classroom each morning.

    ST is a good time -- you have the support of your CT, other student teachers, and your college, so it's a time to be bold and take risks and figure out what works and doesn't work for you.

    Blessings on this season for both of you!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say, please share!