5.28.2012

the grey

There are a lot of 'greys' in life, and in Christianity. One of the ones I've been thinking on lately has been modesty and dress. I keep thinking about how as Christian women, we are called to honor God with our bodies, and everything about us. He didn't make us to show the world everything we got, ok?

Do we look different than women who do not claim Jesus as their Savior? Are our skirts, dresses, and swimsuits modest enough that our dads or pastors wouldn't blush when we wear them? Does the modesty of our clothing vary depending on where we are going or who will be there? And should it?

Personally, this is something that hasn't always been easy for me, and still isn't. I see the mini skirts and bikinis that are just soooo cute. And everyone wears them, right? So that makes it okay, right? And it really isn't that big of a deal....

NO. It is a big deal, and the bible says a lot about it. And I don't want my body to be the object of lust for anyone. And clothing does impact that. Yes I know some will still think sinful thoughts no matter if I wear a burlap sack, but I want to honor God and my husband as best I can. And I need to keep telling myself that.

As women we have a responsibility to our husbands (or future husbands), our brothers in Christ, ourselves, and our Lord. That doesn't mean you can't be pretty and put care into your appearance (believe me, I love me some cute outfits and prettiness), but that doesn't mean you have to wear clothing that hugs your butt, shows off half your chest, bares all your legs, or shows the world your midriff. And it matters ladies. It matters.

I want my fellow sisters in Christ to make it easy for my husband to stay pure through covering themselves up, and I want the way I dress to make it easy for my brother's in Christ to stay pure. There is enough sexuality in this culture that makes it hard for our men to stay God-honoring with their thoughts; they don't need us to add to the difficulty.

We not supposed to be known, our bodies are supposed to be mysterious, girls.

Is it always fun? No. Is it always easy? No. But is God's way the best way? Yes.  He knows what is good for us, and he knows that caring for our bodies by wearing clothing that honors ourselves, our men, our God, is important and worth doing. And it shows the world that we are different. We are supposed to stand out, and yes that might mean a weird look or a "you're a frump" glance when you don't wear the mini dress to the party or the bikini to the pool. I've gotten both many times. But it's okay, we are to take joy in suffering right (and calling that 'suffering' really is a stretch and puts my priorities in order a little)...

So ladies... as we strive together to become women after God's heart and pleasing to Him, let us think twice about the way we present ourselves to this world, to our men, and to our God. Let us pray for the strength to say 'no' when we should at the clothing store (because I know I need it too) and grace for those who don't (because I anger too easily over this issue). Let's lift each other up in encouragement and prayer, keeping each other accountable to carefully steward the beauty he has given to each one of us.


4 comments:

  1. Amen. Thank you for sharing such thought-provoking, true, and grace-filled thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think modesty is more of a mental thing...and not just a physical thing. how you present your self has in large to do with ones mind, not simply the clothes they wear. if you feel women should wear more clothes because the body is to remain a 'mystery' can we also touch of the issue of piercing ones body and getting tattoos?? after all aren't we supposed to keep the body sacred? the bible even refers to it as a temple. It seems unfair for you to suggest we are supposed to honor god with our bodies only by the clothes we wear but you say nothing about tattoos and piercings which are in the EXACT same category (physical appearance)...how is wearing short shorts not honoring god but having a hoop in our nose okay...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think that some tattoos or piercings such as a nose hoop or tattoo on your arm or whatever has been known to cause men (or women) to think sexual thoughts towards the bearer. I think that yes, some tattoos or piercings could do that, and that wouldn't be ok then. I do think that if something about your appearance would insight a sexual reaction, it is best to stay away from it. If you would like to talk about this further, feel free to email me (danaemoran@gmail.com), as I don't intend my comments section to become a space for anonymous arguments, but am definitely open to further discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so great Danae! Thanks for sharing! Do you know where you can find cute one piece suits? The ones I find always seem like old lady suits and I feel like an old lady in them. I see other girls in cute one piece suits and always wonder where they find them!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say, please share!